Gibraltar Employment & Healthcare


In the case of non-EU nationals, only holders of residence permits are able to register for employment with the Employment and Training Board (ETB). However EU nationals are free to seek employment in Gibraltar in their own right and once they have secured employment they will need to register with the ETB. Contact Details:

Ministry of Employment
Unit 76/77 New Harbours
Tel: +350 200 11000


The Group Practice Medical Scheme:

The rules of entitlement to health care are essentially governed by the Medical (Group Practice Scheme) Act, the Medical (Group Practice Scheme) Regulations, the Medical (Group Practice Scheme) (Contributions) Regulations, the UK / Gibraltar Reciprocal Agreement and EC Regulations 883/2004. Some of the rules are quite complex and are extremely difficult to summarise.

The Group Practice Medical Scheme is a contributing scheme through which entitled persons and their dependants can access health care.

The classes of persons entitled to be registered are set out in section 4 of the Act, Regulation 4 of the Regulation and Schedule 1 to the Regulations Section 5 provides for the payment of contribution to the scheme ( Laws of Gibraltar.

The scheme allows entitled persons and their dependants to access health care free of charge. Medicines are available at a cost of £2.50 per item on the prescription subject to a maximum charge of £7.50. Dental treatment is only available to children. Adults may be seen for an emergency treatment only at a fee of £4 per visit, (hence, you need private dental cover). Other services (such as the optometry clinic) are available on a referral from a G.P.

Before processing an application the person applying must produce the following, (If residing in Gibraltar):

  1. Permit of residence / Civilian Registration Card or Passport
  2. Certificate of Social Insurance Contributions / Latest PAYE (Applicable to persons in Employment)
  3. Children’s Birth Certificate
  4. Marriage Certificate (If applying as a dependant)
  5. One Passport size photograph of each member of the family

Private Medical Insurance

In order to be covered by private medical insurance the minimum requirements would be for policy benefits of at least £10,000 per year including in-patient and day-patient treatment in Gibraltar, the Spanish hinterland and United Kingdom hospitals. The benefits should also include all surgeon’s, anaesthetist’s and consultation fees, diagnostic tests and physiotherapy, radiotherapy/chemotherapy treatment as well as surgical procedures and related costs for drugs and dressings. Additionally the insurance should offer cover for evacuation and repatriation and air and /or road ambulance service to anywhere

Cross Border Workers Healthcare (Residing in Spain and employed in Gibraltar)

If you work in Gibraltar you are entitled to medical treatment on both sides of the border.

You should first register in the country where you work and get an S1 form (former E106 form) from the Contribution Unit, Income Tax Department in Gibraltar. This form entitles your dependents to register for health insurance in the country where you live. Your dependants can receive treatment in the country where you work only when one of the following conditions is met:

  • Treatment becomes necessary on medical grounds during their stay in that country, taking into account the nature of the treatment and the expected length of the stay
  • Prior authorisation has been granted using form S2 (E112 form) issued by the health insurance authority in the country where you live.

To register as a Cross Border worker you must produce the following:

  1. Certificate of Social Insurance Contributions / Latest PAYE
  2. ETB work contract (yellow form)
  3. Passport
  4. One passport size photograph

The registration office is located on the 2nd floor in the ICC building at Casemates Square. Opening hours are between 9am-1pm Monday to Friday.

EU Nationals who are not economically active and who reside in Gibraltar under a permit of residence or a residence permit granted under the provisions of the Immigration Control Ordinance and are either covered by a Private Medical Insurance or in receipt of an EEC form such as an E111 for immediate medical cover will be requested to pay the “Voluntary Contribution” towards the G.P.M.S.

EU Nationals of a pensionable age who become resident in Gibraltar may be entitled to access state health care without paying contributions. This is limited to pensioners who are entitled by virtue of reciprocal health arrangements, which exist between Gibraltar and the United Kingdom. If at retirement age you become a cross border resident (i.e. Spain), you will need to obtain an E121 which allows you and your dependants to register in your country of residence. The E121 will be provided by the country where you obtain your state pension.

EU Nationals who are not members of the GPMS may receive free medical treatment, which the doctor considers to be immediate following an accident or other immediately necessary treatment for a period of up to 30 days on production of an E111. British Nationals only need to produce their British Passport.

Health Cover

  • Gibraltar – based on contributions
  • UK – based on residency
  • Spain – based on contributions since October 2012
  • Ex Patriots – E111 (Immediate care, caters to day trippers also)